Our first ferry was a 45 minute ride and we arrived famished and exhausted (I had just mistakenly led us on a 3 mile "scenic detour" that involved a major climb). We were thrilled to discover that there was a cafeteria style restaurant on board, and while Joe loaded up a plate of sausages and dumplings I struggled to order a vegetarian stew in Norwegian. Then Joe found us a table with a view as I snapped some photos from the deck. By this point the boat was moving, and we were digging into our meals when an announcement in English came over the loudspeakers: "All passengers who have not yet paid, please proceed to the ticket office immediately." We were reluctant to leave our meals though, so we lingered for a few minutes over the last bites before setting off to find the ticket office. This proved to be a mistake, because by the time we found the office, it had closed! No ferry personnel were anywhere to be found, and we poked our heads around for 15 minutes before deciding that the best solution would be to spend all the money we would have used on the tickets on chocolate at the snack bar instead. In the midst of our chocolate shopping, though, an announcement was made in Norwegian and within 15 seconds we were alone on the upper deck of the ship. We deduced that the ferry was arriving, and Joe finished our chocolate purchase while I went to collect our stuff from our seats. As we tried to find our way back to the loading floor, where our bikes where (along with maybe 25 cars and trucks), we became hopelessly lost. By the time we found our way, the ferry's doors were lowering. Joe realized that our bikes, which we had put at the back of the ferry when we boarded, where now at the very front, and were blocking everyone else, so we sprinted towards them, weaving our way among the cars as they started up their engines. We reached them just as the ferry's gate clanged down on the dock and tugged them out of the way just in time for the trucks to continue on their way down the highway. Exhausted by what we had hoped would be a relaxing ferry trip, we vowed to do better next time.
And we did do better at relaxing on today's ride! Having just gorged ourselves on burgers and chocolate, we collapsed on the ferry's leather seats and fell sound asleep for an hour and a half. When I woke up to the sound of the ferry pulling into harbor, I found myself surrounded by elderly Norwegian women chuckling at the way I had managed to wrap myself around the ferry's small seats. I joined them in laughing as I prodded Joe awake from a deep slumber, but not before snapping a few photos of him, much to the glee of our older companions. Groggy and a bit disoriented, we lugged our bikes off the ferry and pushed on.
Sleep calls.
Ben.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T
No comments:
Post a Comment