Well, it's mid-way though exam period here in Boston, which means I've been working hard to avoid studying by spending hours on Facebook, watching every cover of Wagon Wheel ever posted on YouTube, and doing extensive research on local ice cream parlors. Without a doubt, though, the best way to procrastinate is by planning a cycling trip -- and whaddya know, I'm doing that too!
It's hard to believe, but in three weeks exactly, I'll land in Oslo with my beloved bicycle and head south. (Commercial Break: I am still looking for company on this trip! Tickets to Oslo are surprisingly inexpensive! Come along for the ride!) My very tentative plan is to follow the North Sea Cycle Route from Bergen, down the Norwegian Coast, east into Sweden, and across into Denmark. Once I hit Hamburg (and visit Sophie!), I'll get off the NSCR and head into Germany. At some point, I'd like to hop on the Via Claudia Augusta, which used to be a trade route for the Holy Roman Empire. These days, it's a cycling path, and word on the street is that it's breathtakingly beautiful. The Via Claudia Augusta goes all the way down to Venice, but I'd also like to spend at least a week cycling in Switzerland. If my legs are still pumping at this point (and that's a big if!) I'll have some decisions to make: Options would include a right turn toward Lisbon, a left turn toward Istanbul, or shooting for Rome. In any event, I need to be back in Boston by July 25th for a week of cycling in Vermont's Green Mountains.
So that's a rough sketch of my essentially non-existent plan. I expect my route to be dictated largely by the people I meet along the way, the density of the breweries in Germany, and the direction the wind is blowing. Oh, and I really like mountains, so I'll be looking for some of those.
A word about this blog: If you're here, you're probably either related to me (Hi Mom!) or you're a friend I've bullied into reading this. Either way, you're no doubt doubling my readership, and you know me well enough to know that I'm a completely mediocre writer. But I'm not letting that stop me! I'll use this space to write about what I see and do as I pedal my way across the European continent. I might touch on wonky bicycling stuff (like my new bomb-proof 36-spoke wheel! And my Brooks B17 saddle, henceforth known as "Brooksy"), but for the most part I'll try to keep things focused on the sights and sounds. So stick around, write some encouraging comments, and we'll see if I can actually get this blog up and running.
It's hard to believe, but in three weeks exactly, I'll land in Oslo with my beloved bicycle and head south. (Commercial Break: I am still looking for company on this trip! Tickets to Oslo are surprisingly inexpensive! Come along for the ride!) My very tentative plan is to follow the North Sea Cycle Route from Bergen, down the Norwegian Coast, east into Sweden, and across into Denmark. Once I hit Hamburg (and visit Sophie!), I'll get off the NSCR and head into Germany. At some point, I'd like to hop on the Via Claudia Augusta, which used to be a trade route for the Holy Roman Empire. These days, it's a cycling path, and word on the street is that it's breathtakingly beautiful. The Via Claudia Augusta goes all the way down to Venice, but I'd also like to spend at least a week cycling in Switzerland. If my legs are still pumping at this point (and that's a big if!) I'll have some decisions to make: Options would include a right turn toward Lisbon, a left turn toward Istanbul, or shooting for Rome. In any event, I need to be back in Boston by July 25th for a week of cycling in Vermont's Green Mountains.
So that's a rough sketch of my essentially non-existent plan. I expect my route to be dictated largely by the people I meet along the way, the density of the breweries in Germany, and the direction the wind is blowing. Oh, and I really like mountains, so I'll be looking for some of those.
A word about this blog: If you're here, you're probably either related to me (Hi Mom!) or you're a friend I've bullied into reading this. Either way, you're no doubt doubling my readership, and you know me well enough to know that I'm a completely mediocre writer. But I'm not letting that stop me! I'll use this space to write about what I see and do as I pedal my way across the European continent. I might touch on wonky bicycling stuff (like my new bomb-proof 36-spoke wheel! And my Brooks B17 saddle, henceforth known as "Brooksy"), but for the most part I'll try to keep things focused on the sights and sounds. So stick around, write some encouraging comments, and we'll see if I can actually get this blog up and running.
Subscribed on Google Reader!
ReplyDeleteGood luck on your trip, Ben! Should be epic
ReplyDelete- Kev
This rocks!
ReplyDeleteAngry Asian said...
ReplyDeletemmm hold up. I see no mention of Barcelona in this blog...hrrmmph
I hope you realize that I will be reading this blog religiously, in attempts to live vicariously through you this summer. Get excited... I will be following your every move.
ReplyDeleteGood luck, Ben!!! This sounds exciting and really fun! Have a blast! :)
ReplyDelete!!! I told my dad about this trip on the ride home today - he's very impressed. Something along the lines of "Wow. That's incredible!"
ReplyDeleteGulp. That is the sound from your mother, who is very proud but also trying not to worry about this so-very-far-away-I-can't-pop-in-and-be-your-support-wagon trip. It goes without saying, no one will be reading this more carefully or with greater interest than your parentals! Love you, Mr. B.
ReplyDeleteHi Ben,
ReplyDeleteWow! Just can't get enough, can ya? I want to follow your blog and tell your Mom to put me on her email list so I can keep up from her point of view too! She always puts in info that most kids don't share over the blog:)
Have a fabulous time. Wish you had some cousins to go with you. I'm sure that they are looking forward to you coming back and heading for the mountains of Vermont. I say, if you can bike across America, you can do anything! Lots of thoughts and prayer go to you! Love, Tina(Scheer)